Monday, October 18, 2010

THE MIGHTY MIGHT OF MAKEUP

I didn’t leave the house wearing make up this morning.

I usually don’t. I’m happily married and work with two fellows, who though very nice, I’m not trying to impress with my looks. In fact, having worked with plenty of men in the past, I have found looking good just gets me into trouble.

Why not look good for my husband, you ask? Well one, he is peculiar and thinks I look good, no matter how crappy I look to the rest of the world. And two, I’m not going to see him all day.

So I was sitting at my desk, doing the typical paper shuffling that comes with my job when something happened that lead me to sneak off to the bathroom to apply a bit of make up.

Now what, you must be wondering, could persuade an otherwise make-up-lazy woman to un-ugly a bit? Well I’ll tell you.

My boss came in with his wife.

It is my belief that women fuss over how they look because of other woman more than wanting to be attractive to men. We just can’t stand the idea that we might be ugly compared to the women around us. It’s not a competition as much as we just don’t want to ever be described as ‘the ugly one’.

It’s amazing the power that an eyeliner pencil and a tube of mascara can have on a gal. It’s even more amazing how we really think it makes any difference. I can promise you that the only one who knew I was wearing any make up at all was me. I even left it on until after my husband got home from work. I can also promise you that he didn’t notice.

I won’t leave the house wearing make up tomorrow morning.

I’m pretty sure it’s not going to matter much.

No comments:

Post a Comment