Wednesday, January 26, 2011

STRAY STAPLE

In a continued effort to figure out how to best use my little Cannon PowerShot SD1000, I've been practicing with the Digital Macro feature.

This is just a random staple on my desk, at work.

I cropped to 4x6 @ 72ppi and added two layers in Photoshop, using the Multiply and the Linear Light blending modes. I didn't tackle the rule of thirds here, but I think the placement turned out quite well. Not bad for a little point and shoot camera!

Above, is the second edit with a High Pass Filter.
Thanks to Carla S for the suggestion.

Before, below. After, above.
Because I'm sure you couldn't have possibly figured that out all on your own.

5 comments:

  1. Nice job! I like it! And it's very visually interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks. :)

    I'm going to give a shot at the rule of thirds tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you consider running a High Pass Filter on it in PS? I think that might have made it pop more...????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to do some poking around to find out about High Pass Filter.

    http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/sharpen-high-pass/

    I typically use Unsharp Mask, though I've used Smart Sharpen recently, too (and used neither in this case). I've not considered High Pass Filter as an option (I'll have to see if have it on my PS version).

    Thanks for the tip, Carla S! I will try it tonight and see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Carla S, I gave it a try and you're right! Nice! I don't know that it would make much difference online, with this photo, but I will definitely keep this in mind for next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete