Friday, February 19, 2010

RESCUE AT QUARTER TO TWO

Waking up at 1:45 in the morning to frightened cries of, “Mummy!” increases my heart rate and gets my adrenaline pumping like nothing else! There is no question of fight or flight, my baby is in trouble!

I’m pretty sure I can fly. I can’t imagine how else I get into her room so quickly after she calls for me. In fact, I’m fairly certain that I am in there before she finishes saying my name.

Usually. (But that’s another tale.)

“I had a bad dream,” my daughter explains with a sad little 4 year old face. I don’t even ask what it was about anymore. My task is simple, get her to the bathroom and get her back to sleep with as little fuss as possible. She is asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow, if she was completely awake at all.

Next comes the attempt to slow my racing heart and figure out what to do with all the adrenaline. Vacuuming? To loud. Maybe this is a good time to do all that dusting that I’ve been putting off for so long. Too loud. No, really. No? It was worth a shot. I’m still not dusting my house. I’m just going to go back to bed.

Then I decide to write this article in my head, and I toy with the idea of writing down the perfectly crafted words going through my mind. I know these words of blinding brilliance will change the world! Then I decide, because I’m in such a logical state at 2AM, that I will clearly remember all the brilliance swirling in my brain come a more respectable hour.

Does this sound brilliant? No, I know, it’s lost something in the several hours between thinking and writing.

The good news is it only took me about 45 minutes to fall back to sleep as opposed to my usual hour. As far as I’m concerned, I’m 15 minutes ahead of the game!

2 comments:

  1. I blog when I can't sleep. But then I don't have to be to work early, either. But then again, it sometimes helps to move the thought-o-matic from the spin cycle in my brain to a different media.

    I'm sure your article is brilliant, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the bog is the article. I really hate the word blog. Was it brilliant? Of course it was, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete