Saturday, February 5, 2011

THE JOY OF LOVE, DAY 4, METERING

Willette Photography & More is offering a free, online photography class this February, called The Joy of Love. There's still time to sign up, if you're interested!

Lesson 04 - WHAT THEY WEAR focused on what our loved ones wear. Willette Photography also suggested that we read up about metering for our camera and try taking a photo of the same thing with different metering. So I did. But I won't lie, I don't quite understand metering and I had no idea how to adjust it on my Canon PowerShot SD1000 point and shoot camera. So I read up about it and did some experimenting.

The first set is some of Weeb's toys, front lit with a dark background, no flash. I didn't see much difference between the Pattern, Center and Spot metering. Blogger made these images smaller than I intended so you can't see as much detail as I would have liked to have shown here.

According to my camera's manual, Pattern / Evaluative metering divides images into several zones, evaluating complex lighting conditions, like the position of the subject, the brightness, direct light and backlighting and adjusts the settings to the correct exposure for the main subject.


The second set is back lit, no flash, and I really noticed the differences there, though I still don't quite understand why.

Center Weighted Average metering averages the light metered from the entire frame, but gives greater weight to the subject matter at the center.

Spot metering meters the area within the spot AE (auto exposure) point at the center of the LCD monitor and is used when you want to set the exposure on the subject in the center of the monitor. Yeah... I still don't quite get it.












The third set is Weeb, who was not delighted about being photographed or my annoying with her for not being able to sit still. She was facing the window, no flash.

Well, I may not exactly understand this, but at least I know how to manually change the settings for metering on this camera. The more I read up and the more I learn about my camera's capabilities and photography theory, the more I'll be able to put it all together, eventually.

Now, hopefully I've done the blog placing properly and this is displaying as I had intended. It looks okay on my screen but I dread to think what it looks like on a mobile phone (because I have so many adoring fans keeping up with my goings ons).

Yes, yes, I know this is all very self indulgent. I'm amused, so there ya go.

No comments:

Post a Comment