Wednesday, February 9, 2011

NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS

I bought some Smarties for Weeb's class for Valentine's Day. They are nut safe which is a HUGE selling point, for me and my family, and I wouldn't have bought them, otherwise.

So as Weeb and I tested a couple of boxes today (I use the word 'tested' and the word 'couple' rather loosely here), I notice the box of red and pink candy coated chocolatey goodness says: NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS.

Really?

There is NOTHING artificial in the bright red and pink candy coloring?

The side of the box says *NON-ARTIFICIAL COLORS ARE PREPARED FROM NATURAL SOURCES. FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT WWW.SMARTIES.CA.

So I did.

And they weren't kidding.

Not that I'm THAT concerned about natural vs. unnatural. Obviously the more natural the better, but if I were THAT concerned, I probably wouldn't be reaching for a little box or two (again, a loose translation of the chocolate slaughter that occurred) of candy coated chocolate.

I really wanted to make fun of the idea that something this bright and red / pink could be made from anything, naturally. But since I can't, I'm going to just say thanks for making these little gems nut safe and thanks for using the nut safe label on the package! Now, could you please also put the nut safe label on the little boxes so when my daughter gets Valentine / Halloween treats, I don't have to toss them due to uncertainty. Happy nibbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment